Lead generation is one of the biggest challenges for emerging SaaS companies. Confidence plays a big role in sales, nothing decreases confidence like an empty pipeline and prospects can smell a needy salesperson from a mile away.
Below some proven tips and tricks that I have learned over the years as a top performer for leading organisations, business founder and sales enablement director which you can start using today to dramatically increase your chances of success:
- Focus on the prospects that are most likely to buy.
- Have a good reason to contact them – A good technique is “why you and why now?” by Jeffrey Hoffman. Examples:
- You read something in the news
- They’ve recently had an event that’s relevant to you
- They downloaded something from your website.
- Add value every time you reach out. For example:
- Share a piece of highly relevant content, it can be from a trusted third party if you don’t have relevant content!
- Share a tip based on observation business. e.g. If you have a solution to reduce waiting times in call centers, why not try to call them to see how long they take to answer your call?
- Ask for what you want! A clear call to action in every contact is key to get the outcome you are after. e.g. “When would you have 20 minutes to discuss?”
- Tailor the message to your audience
- Do it at scale. You can use email templates, LinkedIn Automation tools like LinMail for £20 per month, Email Marketing tools like MailChimp for free… just remember to customize, focus on small groups of people with similar characteristics
- Have the right mindset – According to Jeb Blount in Fanatical Prospecting people give up shortly after sending just a few emails or trying to make a few calls, this is a numbers game. Try to contact each prospect at least 8 times, don’t be the typical sales guy that gives up after 3 attempts
- Nurture – If they are a good fit but don’t want to buy right now, keep them on a separate list and send a personalized email blast every 6 weeks. Remember, add value in every email and also, try to offer something to motivate them to subscribe to your marketing list. (a piece of collateral, guide, etc.)
- Focus your best efforts on your most engaged prospects. Tools like Boomerang for Gmail or Hubspot allow you to track email openings, go get those first!
- Start now – don’t try to get it perfect, soon you’ll learn what works